14 August 1988
Tablet Values: 5c, 10c, 15c, 20c, 30c, 35c, 40c, 60c, 90c, $1.20, $1.80, $5.00
Artist: Ernest Nisbet
Printer: BDT International Security Printing Ltd
Paper: CA Watermark
Stamp Size: 27.94 x 44.45 mm
Perforation Gauge: 14 per 2 cm
Pane Format: 50 (2 x 25)
Mint and CTO: $11.05
First Day Cover: $11.85
HMS Swallow - in which Captain Carteret discovered Pitcairn, 1767
- sighted Ducie Island, 470 km from Pitcairn, while searching
for the mutineers, 1791.
HMS Briton and HMS
- first British vessels to stop at Pitcairn after settlement.
Discovered John Adams, last of the mutineers, 1814.
HMS Blossom - Captain Beechey, 1825
- sent from Sydney to transport to Tahiti the eighty seven people
living on Pitcairn.
- twelve having died from illness in six months, this vessel
carried remaining Pitcairners back to Pitcairn, August 1831.
- Captain Elliott drew up laws and regulations for the proper
government of the island, 1838.
- London Missionary Society packet, Captain Morgan and
Reverend Heath of LMS, 1840
HMS Virago - steam sloop; first steam vessel to visit Pitcairn, 1853.
SS Rakaia - first mail liner, 1867.
- Commander Clark drew up a law to prevent strangers from
settling on the island, 1882.
- system of government reorganised, 1893.